Community Networking Summer Coordinator: Job Summary

This summer, while working for FACTSnet I learned and accomplished many different things. In the position of summer business manager I learned multiple skills. Here I was in charge of doing the payroll, calculating deductions, giving out pay stubs, organizing and updating spreadsheet and helping fulfill all the financial requirements for Canada Summer Jobs. These were all things I had never done before but with guidance I have learned many valuable skills in this role.

My main goal for the summer was to develop francophone connections and networks for FACTSnet. I began translating the most relevant information from the blogs so they could be used by francophone schools, teachers, students and parents. This included information from the Parents as Coaches Network, the Alberta/Japan Network and the Social Studies Network. I made efforts to establish ties with the francophone schools in the constituencies of all the summer students. This was done by a letter outlining and inviting them to participate in our programs and to ask for their input. There was also follow up done by phone. I spent some time working with the Institut Guy-Lacombe which is a support foundation but in place by the Alberta Francophone Parents Association.

A major project done this summer was done in working with Centralata Tourism. Myself along with another FACTSnet summer student produced fictional stories based on historical facts on the Grey Nuns that will be used in schools as a teaching tool. We did extensive research and writing about the impact of the Nuns in establishing Alberta, concentrating on the St. Albert/Edmonton area. The book included curriculum ties and chapter questions for teachers. I also translated the entire book so that a French version will be available. The book will be brought to the publishers by the end of August and sold through Amazon as well as through Centralta Tourism.

In the development of the Newcomers and Visitors to Canada Network I have contributed a section highlighting the organizations and services that francophone community offers for people recently moving to Edmonton.

With the Parents as Coaches blog I made contacts with the Minister of Education office to request information about how FACTSnet participate in new initiatives that the Minister is planning.

The final major project I worked on was the Unshakable Truth study. I attended and contributed to the weekly sessions discussing the book. I also helped find ties between the book and the catholic curriculum so that teachers may be able to use the book as well as the blog as a resource.

Along with all these projects I learnt and developed many valuable skills such as how to contribute to a blog network, working as a team, communication at meetings and through email, business letter writing, networking, dialoguing and time management. Overall my summer working for FACTSnet was very successful and productive.  

No comments: