FACTSnet Summer Personal Development Comments

Below are comments about opportunities for personal development through FACTSnet summer.

My work at FACTsnet afforded me many opportunities for professional and personal development. The first instance of this was with the book ‘Breakthrough Solution’ and the webinar by Dr. Grant Mullen. Those gave me a lot of insight into hidden weights I had to be careful not to carry around lest they hamper my efforts and relationships both at home and in the workplace. 

FACTsnet afforded me the opportunity to attend the Vitalize 2013 conference on company time, funded by a different organization. This was a great boon to me as the conference was full of interesting and motivating speakers. My personalized conference plan focused on communication – how to communicate with colleagues, board members, community members and so on. The lessons learned from this conference were applied immediately to my work with FACTsnet, and will stay with me throughout my affiliation with various nonprofits. 

FACTsnet provided me with an account to use on the Flag Page website, [From Bags to Flags]which examined what values are most important to me. I learned that I value personal connections, efficiency and competency. This explained to me why I get along with certain people, and less so with others. I seek out those who share the same values I do. This helped me understand that I need to be respectful of others who don’t share the same values – they have their own values, which are just different and not bad. 

My duties with FACTsnet required a lot of communication and cooperation with other members of the summer 2013 team. This afforded me an excellent opportunity to practice my teamwork skills which will serve me well in the field of education. 

This summer, I worked with two high school students within my constituency. I tutored them on CTS  (Career & Technology Studies) modules taken from Alberta Education – this involved making lesson plans with learning outcomes, actual teaching, evaluation, and making final reports. All of those were excellent hands on practice of tasks I will need to do frequently as a teacher. It also gave me an opportunity to explore the approach of different schools to teaching students with disabilities.

I helped coordinate two FACTsnet events this summer, and gave presentations at both. While I was already a very experienced presenter, any opportunity to brush up on my skills while making new network connections is very welcome! 

Finally, I learned through FACTsnet of an online course aimed at creating better relationships with people in my personal or professional life. This course gave me new insights into my relationship with several people close to me, and I will be using what I learned on an ongoing basis.

No comments: