Richard's Public Summary

My summer job at FACTSnet has been eventful and multifaceted. My position can be effectively summarized as a combination of tech lead and ESL assistant, placed within the tech and ESL Mandarin Calgary teams. Primarily, I have worked with many technology related and miscellaneous tasks, including setting up working folders and timesheets for new employees this summer. The most notable projects I developed this summer are reworking and creating a demo version for the Career & Personal Development Assessment Sheet, editing and publishing public-facing posts/pages across multiple FACTSnet Blogger websites, working with the ESL team with editing and translating the Workability handbook, as well as assisting the PBF team with document scanning and searching solutions.


My contributions to the Career & Personal Development Assessment Sheet are mainly based off formatting and cleaning up the previous incoherent and fragmented version that resulted in confusion and ineffectiveness amongst its users. I reformatted and cleaned up its layout, set and verified calculations present on the sheet, and incorporated protected ranges to prevent accidental modification to critical elements. Furthermore, I distributed this cleaned-up version of the assessment sheet to the Calgary Summer team to use as their Assignment #2, rather than the broken version before. In addition to this year’s goal of improving the ease of comprehension of the Workability curriculum for ESL students, I added comments or descriptions for each subtopic on the three major topics of the assessment sheet. These comments are intended to explain concepts that are otherwise difficult to explain or comprehend. They are also kept in simple English to disencourage reliance on translations. Lastly, I assisted the ESL team in writing instructions on how to operate the assessment sheet written in both English and Mandarin. These instructions are provided alongside a DEMO Career & Personal Development Assessment Sheet for use by summer employees and ESL students to hopefully help with the often complex and overwhelming nature of spreadsheet software.


Great responsibility and reliance upon my abilities in working with technology were expected, most prominently in regards to web development. FACTSnet currently operates and maintains a sizeable number of Blogger websites across multiple accounts, and thus, a significant amount of coherence and uniformity is required. Initially, I was tasked with migrating sections of the Workability workbook after the ESL team has finished improving and editing it. However, my dependence on its completion eventually timed out as many members of the ESL team were reassigned, resulting in slow progress. I was able to properly align the theme of the newly created FACTSnet Careers website to all other FACTSnet websites using consultation with Michelle A. Details on continuing with this project will be outlined below. Excluding work on that website, I published book info and their tables of contents on the Transcendent Biblical Spirituality Networks website. Additionally, I edited and fixed the layout of the Creed Topics post, reorganized course descriptions on the CIN website, added individuals’ and teams’ public summaries to the FACTSnet Opportunities website, and composed instructions for searching the PBF archive. Lastly, I created the Intern 2019–20 Reporting Template and Master Interns 2019–20 Reporting documents with updated layouts and descriptions to alleviate confusion.

I am very grateful for this incredible opportunity to gain leadership experience and develop technical skills in a workplace environment. I never thought that this would fill my summer and help my personal development, rather than allow mindless dwelling at home all day. It is great to hear the motivation behind this, which is to improve the next generation by incorporating traditional values; I truly respect that. Not only did this position provide me with invaluable work experience, it also allowed me to work in fields that I prefer.

No comments: