Kari's Public Summary


My work with FACTS this year had me continuing my past project by writing summary papers about brain development from notes I had taken previously, along with editing and improving them afterwards. However, I did not manage to finish giving them intros and doing the final editing, so I’ll be finishing that up during my next internship. Both my internship and summer job involved attending and leading many meetings. Tasks in these meetings included, but were not limited to, getting new people started, answering any questions they had, discussing with people what direction to take projects in, and helping organize and supervise people. I learned a lot about leading teams, working independently, and managing my time effectively, along with coordinating with others through these meetings. These are all skills I know I will be putting to good use in my future career, regardless of what it turns out to be.


While my internship mostly involved meetings with a little bit of project work, my summer job was a lot more project-related. I wrote summaries from my notes, did a round of editing, then began adding intros and conclusions to help the papers flow better and edited again. A large portion of time was also spent tracking down resources that had been moved or deleted from the online course I got them from originally. I also began a second project that focused on nutrition’s effects on the brain, but only got as far as gathering a few resources for it.


My research and papers on the brain are really relevant to my interest in psychology, as research is a big part of many occupations and schooling in that area. It also gives me a big head start on a lot of course information I will be learning in my post-secondary education. By doing a lot of writing I was also able to develop my writing skills and ability to use APA formatting properly.

No comments: